Thursday, June 5, 2008

Ramblin, Gamblin Man

I suck at poker. I realized this at my grandfather's poker room today. I know this must be hard to believe, but a man as charismatic and witty as I can't bluff a hand to save his life. My problem is that I have faith in Gaussian statistics, so I naturally assumed that if I sat at a poker table with $100 in chips and waited for 4 hours, I would get a few good hands. Here's the conversation that I had with the universe today:

Me: Hey universe, how about dealing me ONE good hand, maybe?

Universe: How about a King-2, off suit?

Me: I don't want that.

Universe: How about FIVE of them?

This is why I want to be a physicist: The universe is a jerk, and the more we understand it, the sooner we can get revenge on it for pulling all this crap. I know the LHC isn't gonna destroy the universe, but how about giving it a little scare, you know?

No comments: